A health worker infected with Lassa Fever has been confirmed dead in Kano State.
Our sources reports that the 33-year-old index case, who worked with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) at Unguwa Uku Primary Health Care (PHC), returned to Kano from France on 28th January 2026 via a direct flight.
She was said to have resumed work on the same day, 28th January 2026.
Subsequently, she developed symptoms including fever, headache, cough, and mild joint pain on February 6th, 2026.
The following day, she visited E-Health Clinic for medical attention, and she returned to the same clinic on 10th February 2026 for a follow-up visit due to persistent symptoms.
Then on 11th February 2026, she presented on self-referral to Kano Medical Centre Clinic with worsening symptoms, including fever, headache, cough with bleeding, difficulty breathing, and mild joint pain and later died on the same day.
Our sources findings revealed that following this development, the Kano State Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KNCDC) was notified for immediate public health action by Kano Medical Centre, KMC.
It was gathered that the dead body was taken to AKTH for safe burial, and clinical samples were collected and tested for Lassa fever, which the result returned positive
Similarly, the primary case is a medical officer working with the State Primary Health Care Management Board (SPHCMB) at Minjibir Primary HealthCare, PHC.
He also works with Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) at Unguwa Uku PHC, where he had been working closely with the index case.
On 30th January 2026, he attended to a patient at Minjibir PHC who presented with symptoms suggestive of Viral Hemorrhagic Fever, including cough and nose bleeding.
‘’After hearing a public health awareness jingle on the radio by the Kano State Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (KNCDC), he became concerned about his possible exposure due to contact with suspected cases, ‘’Inside Kano was informed.
‘’As a precautionary measure, he collected his own sample and submitted it for testing at Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital (AKTH) on 5th February 2026.
‘’The test result, released on 6th February 2026, was negative. However, due to ongoing concern and possible exposure, he collected another sample on 12th February 2026. The second test result returned positive.
However, the patient has been kept at Minjibir Primary HealthCare instead of an isolation centre at Yar Gaya, but due to the fact that the government has abandoned the centre, the patient is presently at risk and the same with others in the environment.
Credible sources at the Kano State Centre for Disease Control and Prevention told Our sources that the Centre was withholding information on the two cases of lassa fever for reasons best known to it.
Speaking to Our sources on the development on Monday, the Kano State Centre for Disease Control and Prevention Director General, Professor Muhammad Adamu Abbas, said he could not confirm or deny it because he wanted to address a press conference.